What to Do if My Electrics are Unsatisfactory?

It’s a fact that over time, all electrical systems deteriorate because they’re used so often. This is natural. But what happens if your electrics are unsatisfactory? That’s how an electrician might describe the result of a safety test on your electrical installations.

Obviously, it is important that your electrics are safe in your home. One way to achieve this is through an electrical safety test. This is an easy process whereby a registered electrician visits your home to carry out an inspection. 

At IPF Electrical we recommend this takes place at least every 10 years for homeowners. However, for landlords, it should be every 5 years or between tenants.

The electrician produces an EICR report for you to look at. This highlights any problems with the electrics. If the report shows your electrics are unsatisfactory then ultimately, you need repairs done as soon as possible. 

Getting an Electrical Safety Check

With this in mind, you may already be thinking of booking an electrical safety check. Perhaps you are moving house. Or maybe you are a landlord and it’s time for a regular check for the new tenants. 

If in doubt about your electrics, here are some visual signs to look for; 

  • Light bulbs not working or blinking frequently
  • Switches that don’t work or make weak contact
  • Power sockets that spark when you plug something in 
  • Dark yellow/brown marks around power outlets or light switches
  • Tripped fuses in the fuse box
  • Frequent power jumps or failure.

Indeed, if you’ve noticed any of these, it’s important to call a registered electrician. 

At IPF Electrical, our electricians can have vast up to date knowledge of current wiring regulations.  Moreover, we can ensure your electrical safety and compliance.

What Does It Mean when my Electrics are Unsatisfactory?

In the first place, an electrician checks all the electrical installations in your property for any faults.  In reality, some faults can lead to electric shocks or even a fire. Therefore it is  important to make sure you are safe. 

To complete an EICR report, your electrician will detail any damage, deterioration or dangerous conditions.  These are the following codes to look out for. 

C1 means that danger is present and immediate action is required, there could be a risk of injury. A C2 code means the situation is potentially dangerous and remedial action is urgently required. With a C3 code, the electrician will recommend improvements to the electrical installation.  An FI code means that further investigation is required without delay. 

To put it another way, any C1, C2, or F1 observation leads to an ‘unsatisfactory’ verdict. Moreover, you will not receive a safety certificate until the work has been completed. 

A C3 code is the only one that can appear on your EICR report and still pass the test. 

What Happens When Your Electrics Are Unsatisfactory?

If you are a Tenant?

As a tenant, it is the responsibility of the council, housing association or private landlord to make sure your home is safe to live in. This includes the wiring and electrical installations. 

It’s worth emphasising that responsibility for ensuring all electrical installations are tested lies with private landlords. With this in mind, an EICR report should arrive with the tenant within 28 days. 

An unsatisfactory report means the landlord must get repair work started within 28 days. New legal advice came into play after 1 June 2020. Now the first check on the electrics must take place before a new tenancy begins.

However, It’s important to realise that as a tenant, you are responsible for:

  • Reporting electrical faults to your landlord as soon as you spot a problem
  • Allowing access to your home for inspections
  • The safety of your own electrical appliances. 

Tenants can carry out visual checks on the electrical installations. But never try to carry out repairs. 

If you are a Homeowner?

For homeowners, it’s a good rule of thumb to get an EICR report every 10 years at least. 

You may put your insurance at risk if you fail to check and maintain your electrical systems. If there is a fire or accident as a result of an electrical fault, some insurance companies may refuse claims. 

With this in mind, it is wise to get the remedial work carried out as soon as possible. Ultimately, as the homeowner, you are responsible for the safety of anyone else in your home. 

Find an Electrician to Rewire the Electrics in Your House

Another key point is don’t try to carry out major repairs by yourself! 

That is to say, it’s important to find a registered electrician to do the job. 

By all means, you can choose a different electrician to the one who tested your electrics. However, if you do choose a different company, you will probably be charged for the second test. 

At IPF Electrical, we operate an honest and transparent fixed pricing model so that we can present you with a costing for the work prior to commencing. 

All our electricians are accredited with the Registered Competent Person Electrical search facility. This is a list of electricians registered to work safely in households. It also lists electrical inspectors registered to undertake electrical safety reports. 

To Conclude: What Happens If My Electrics are Unsatisfactory?

To sum up, if your electrics are unsatisfactory, it’s essential that you carry out improvements as soon as possible. 

For landlords, it’s worth repeating that there’s a legal requirement to get the work done. Tenants are entitled to receive the EICR report. With any dangerous situations, the responsibility lies with the landlord or building owner.   Furthermore, a tragic fire or accident could lead to prosecution. 

With homeowners, the current recommendation is to get safety tests done once every 10 years. However, it is always worthwhile booking this in early if you think that work is needed. The tests help to determine the safety and conditioning of the wiring in your home. Thus ensuring the safety of your family. 

Contact us at IPF Electrical and we can arrange a visit to your home or property to carry out an EICR report.